Friday, June 26, 2009

One Down, Eternity To Go

Rad and I celebrated our One Year Anniversary last Saturday. Can I tell you all how fast it goes? As far as I am concerned, until you hit year 5, you are still newlyweds- but I'm glad, cause I love being a newlywed. It's exciting, flirtatious, sweet, it's roses from our garden in the hand of my sweetheart coming through the holes in the stairway banister beside me. Can this feeling just never go away? Or does it have to? Does marriage have to be hard? Maybe it's all part of our learning and growth.

Rad has been planning a surprise anniversary for the past 4 months. He usually can't fool me... only because I sit and analyze every possible situation until I figure out what he's planning. But he was finally able to keep a secret. We drove up to Salt Lake City around 3 pm and checked in to the Grand America hotel and resort.

Our room was incredible. A spacious living room separated from the bedroom by beautiful french doors, a king bed with "down" everything, a huge bathroom with 2 separate vanity's, our own little box of amazing chocolates, and a balcony facing hotel gardens and east mountains.

Can you spot the indoor pool above?

One of the reasons I was not expecting it, is because I know how cautious Rad is with $$. But he's been saving and planning for this for a long time. After getting settled a bit, we drove a block or two to the Melting Pot restaurant. We could've walked, but why not add valet parking to the bill?

Neither of us had ever been there, so we were totally confused by the 4 course menu, but we eventually caught on. First, you pick your cheese to dip your bread, veggies, and even green apples.

Totally not our Merlot by the way, just a stock photo!

Second, choose your salad. Third (by this time I was nearing full) choose your meat platter. We had fillet minion, lemon pepper steak, chicken, and pork. You get a couple different kinds of batters to dip your meat in before cooking it in the oil (which you also choose).

Finally, the dessert course- which you must save room for. You choose your chocolate- we got the "turtle" chocolate mixed with caramel and pecans, and as you can imagine, it's to die for. Then you get a plate of cheesecake, brownies, strawberries, rice crispies and more to dip.
Good till the last drop!
We spent three full hours there- dipping, chatting, waiting for meat to cook... It was relaxing. Considering we dropped a hundred there, I don't plan on goin back for a few years, but it was totally worth it.

Here's our faces when we saw the bill:
Retake- Rad says I look to Happy!Hmm.. Now I look....special
We woke up in our hotel room at 5am (talk about a downer) and left to take Rad to the airport. He flew to Philadelphia for a week long Metlife conference. I wish we would have been able to relax there for a few more days, but I am grateful for the mini honeymoon to spend some time together before he left. After dropping him off, I balled the entire way home as I drove 55 and watched the sun rise over the mountains. I am probably the only person in history who didn't have to slow down when I entered the construction zone on the freeway. I know it was so lame of me to cry, but it was the first time we have EVER been apart. I always make fun of people that make a big deal out of leaving their honey for a week, yet I was having a panic attack. In my defense, I am afraid of the dark and we have a huge house! But I am proud to say- I made it. He flys in tonight. I have been waiting to post this just so I could end it on a happy note.

Two glasses of Martinellis and the top tier of our wedding cake all ready to indulge.....

And the honeymoon continues.

2 comments:

  1. What a great anniversary! I'm glad your husband is back; it is so hard to have them be gone! My husband spent our first 24 hours apart and it was awful! I totally cried as well. And it was only 1 day. We just don't know what to do without them! Happy 1st Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! That just looks so amazing! And that is so sad that your hubby had to leave for so long. Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete