Monday, July 6, 2009

Love it or Leave it

Every time I see our country's flag, I stop and ponder, sometimes even cry. The flag is a symbol of our heritage, our freedom, and for me, a reminder of my blessings. I was never one to get too excited about presents. While other kids couldn't wait for Christmas or their birthdays, I always loved the fourth of July. It meant family, homemade ice cream, fireworks, and my favorite- our neighborhood parade. It wasn't like the Grand Parade here in Provo. WE were the parade. Kids with their bikes decorated with patriotic streamers, toddlers being pulled in wagons by older siblings, and being dressed up like Betty Ross or the Statue of Liberty. We all walked around the block singing songs and cheering. We weren't cheering at the sight of expensive fireworks, a pretty float or the mayor riding in a cool old car. We cheered because we were happy, free and safe.

It's been 16 years since I walked around that block, cheering. Somehow, I haven't forgotten
why I cheer after the national anthem or when an F-16 soars across the evening sky.

The celebration this year lasted a total of 16 hours for Rad and I. The alarm clock sounded while the sun was still rising. The only thing on my mind was why we stayed up so late. Curse you Jimmy Fallon. I dragged Rad out of bed and we left without grabbing breakfast, heading for the balloons. I had never seen the balloon launch. Very few things (if any) are worth waking up that early for. We arrived at 6:45 am just in time to see nothing. The last balloon had already lifted off and they were now climbing higher and higher into the clouds.
I was disappointed but my waking up was not in vain. We met Chelsie and Shawn at Macey's grocery store for a free french toast breakfast. Just when I thought I wouldn't get an up close view of the balloons, one came creeping up behind the Macey's, preparing to land. It seemed to come within inches of the roof, and only millimeters away from a light pole. I imagined it being pierced by the pole or thrown off balance only to crash right on top of us and smother us to death, but the expert balloon guy somehow steered clear and made a perfect landing, just feet away.His crew was already there waiting to help and within a few moments, he was exchanging passengers and was in the air again. I got to see a lift-off after all!Good thing this 8 year old was there to help pull the balloon to the ground

It was the most gorgeous morning. Maybe they are all that beautiful but I've never been up early enough to enjoy them. It's true that the light is fantastic for pictures! I also managed to catch shots of many of the other balloons throughout the morning.All the patriotic balloons in one shot


I loved these colorful balloons
Stoppin off for some Del Taco??

After breakfast, we headed over to the parade. We got amazing seats on a round about and Rad and I read out of The Giver until the parade began. We enjoyed the sunshine...and of course some rain. After the parade, there was time for a nap and then off to a barbecue with Rad's family at noon. Rad's mom, Julie, gave us these bracelets and I read them over and over in my head, just to let it sink in. USA, Love it or Leave it!
Most people take it for granted that we have the freedom to leave our country, to travel and explore. There are some who aren't so fortunate...and I'm with the bracelet- If you don't like it, go somewhere else! If you don't have $$ to leave, I'm sure our country will give you some after you fill out some forms. But I consider myself very lucky to live here and to have been born here.

After the BBQ we had a second nap time and then made delicious homemade ice cream, using my $3 electric wooden ice cream maker from DI (returned to working order by my talented husband). After indulging on Butterfinger Vanilla, we drove up to the Provo temple to watch the fireworks with Chelsie and Shawn.

While we waited for the show to begin, I sat and pondered my bracelet once more, and it was then that I noticed something written on the inside. I turned it inside out to reveal the hidden message.


Wow. I'm Speechless.

1 comment:

  1. My name is Jessica and I haven't updated my blog in almost a year. I think you should make it one of your "projects" before the baby comes to get this thing back in business.

    ReplyDelete