Saturday, May 16, 2009

New Beginnings


I am no longer a college student. It’s going to take a while before it really hits me. I graduated high school 7 years ago, and a “high school student” was an identity I was glad to be rid of the second it passed. I’m not so sure I feel the same way about the title “college student.” It's made up my identity for the last 7 years. Most people rejoice the day they finish, but I couldn't help but feel something different. The same thing happened after I got my bachelors degree. I wasn’t truly overjoyed because I knew I wasn’t really done. I just knew that I had to go to graduate school… It was part of my path. I just didn’t know when my life would lead me there. I was waiting but searching.


It’s funny the way things all work out. 10 months after I graduated, I met Rad through a mutual friend at work. I suddenly knew. That was my purpose for waiting a year to return to grad school. I don’t think our paths would’ve ever crossed under any other circumstances. We were in completely different social circles with different interests. Even if we happened to spot each other from a distance while at the bookstore or a restaurant, it wouldn’t have worked. We were both weak at heart, broken, and unable to trust. Only a situation like the one that took place could’ve brought us together (see the post St Patrick's to read our dating story). I started grad school a month and a half later.


But why now, do I feel sad to be rid of the burden of the exams, papers, late nights and early mornings, not knowing how I will feed myself or pay rent next month? It’s the thrill, the challenge, and the accomplishment I will miss. The jokes from witty professors, the friendships, the pride that comes with achieving something I didn’t think I could. The spontaneity, the irresponsibility.. Yes, I know, those last two were a lie. Anyone who knows me will say I am anything BUT spontaneous and irresponsible. More like overachiever and psychotic perfectionist who never had any fun! Even still, it has been the most rewarding experience of my entire life. Why not go for a PhD if I love school so much? I’ve thought about it but I just know it’s not in the cards for me. My first priority is being a wife and mother, and I feel like I finally have the perfect job to be able to do that.


I will miss college life. And I will never again be a college student. Never cram for another test. Never run like heck to get to class. I guess I will have to live through Rad now.. too bad he graduates in 7 months. Do I hear MBA anyone??


This is the start of my new beginning.

Formerly a college student.

Today-A Professional.

Holding my thesis after finishing my defense

Some graduation pics...




What a difference a few years make.. from bachelors to masters
(Do not attempt to adjust your monitor- I really did gain 10 lbs in my face)




Me with my thesis chair, Dr. Channell


Yummy cake from Rad and beautiful flowers from Dad and Donna!

A play on words..or a 4th grade education? I'm gonna go with the latter.



Rad, My sweetheart.. I only hope I can show you the same patience, support and unconditional love you've given me the past two years. Halfway through my grad school when I was on the verge of breaking down, or maybe I already had, you stuck by me. You could've run and probably should've, but instead you gave me a ring.


Here's to new beginnings, ready or not.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats Jess! You are so awesome for finishing!!! Thanks for the support on my blog. I hope I can graduate on time too! Haha. Good luck in your professional (and everything else) endeavors!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so beautiful! Your shoes match Rad's shirt! I'm so proud of you! Thank you for sharing with us! Two more weeks! Well, for me. You have the summer too! Have fun with that. Loves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Jess and good luck with everything! Good think for blogs so we can keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica - you are my idol! I can't believe you did it, congrats! or should i say congrads? :)

    ReplyDelete