Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St Patrick's

Two years ago today, on St. Patrick's day in 2007, Rad and I met. There was nothing remarkable about that day. I went to work, got home around 7, showered and fell asleep while feeling sorry for myself. You know those lonely nights where you don't want to admit you have nothing to do on a Saturday night so you just lay down on your bed to rest for a moment and you end up waking up hours later still in your clothes with the light on? Yes, it was one of those nights. I had recently been through a big break up and was fed up with dating. The words of my friend Candice from earlier that day still rang in my head. She said (knowing how completely pathetic and lonely I was), "Hey I know someone you can date. There's a guy who lives in my apartments and he is really cute. His name is Rad." I responded, "Were his parents hippies or something?" (To answer that question, read the post 2 down). The conversation ended there and I really didn't think anything would ever come of it. After all, blind dates are just BAD. Anyways, I was awaken that night by my phone ringing and I almost didn't answer because I didn't recognize the number. It was Candice. She said, "Hey, a group of us are going bowling and you should come" and she whispered, "Rad's gonna be there!" For some reason I obliged and told her they would have to wait awhile (even though it was already after 10 pm) because I had just showered and had wet hair and zero make-up.

About an hour later, I arrived at their apartment and immediately upon walking in scanned the room for my blind date, Rad. Even though I had never seen him and I didn't know a single thing about him, I picked him out effortlessly. He was a handsome guy sitting across the room smiling and looking my way. I found out sometime later that right before I walked in, he and a friend had said "This girl better be hot- she's taking forever!"
We headed to the Miracle Bowl. I did find him a little odd and not exactly my type.. at least he wasn't what I was used to dating.. which turned out to be exactly my type. At the bowling alley we exchanged exactly 5 words. I asked him where he was from, to which he responded, pointing to his shirt, "Norpro." (The following is a re-enactment)
I tried to sit near him while bowling but it never really worked out. That's the problem with bowling- you stand up and loose your spot. I did manage to give him a few high fives after strikes though. At some point I started break dancing which might have frightened him a bit. You'll have to ask him. After bowling, we all went back to the apartments and watched a movie. Although we sat next to each other, I couldn't help but feel like he was avoiding me like the plague. At the end of the night, I found it kind of strange that my date never got my number or really even talked to me. It was only later that I found out that he had no idea we were being set up. He thought I was just some random girl tagging along. I am actually grateful for that though, because it allowed him to be himself. Rad hates being set up (especially these days) and he would've acted extremely awkward if he had known I was sizing him up for marriage. He too was going through a difficult break up and it was good to take it slow. He did eventually get my number and call me... although that is a story for another day.
Here's us in our green. Rad is wearing a polo I bought him a year and a half ago, for only the second time cause he secretly hates it. Someone please tell him it looks nice! I bought those ears from the dollar store and am obsessed with them. Don't worry I'm putting them away until next year! I love green therefore I love St. Patty's. I'm truly sorry to all the Irish for turning it into our secular mockery of a holiday. I guess it's kinda like non-religious people celebrating Christmas!

My favorite Green item of the day in Lieu of The Green Month- My amazing Green Apple Kitchen Aid.

Reflection of the Day: Flying above the jungles of Mexico

4 comments:

  1. I like the story as well. you deserve it! ps - I like the reflection of the day on your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks guys.. our dating story is pretty funny. I spared some of the details because it embarrasses Rad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree - great story! Your blog is fun to read.
    My kitchenaid isn't green, but I love it too. Aren't they amazing?

    ReplyDelete