Saturday, March 21, 2009

My Current Ailment

Oh yeah, that's why I loathe spring-- It's allergy season! I took one of those tests last year where they prick your arm 60 times and inject everything imaginable and I found out that I am allergic to cedar as well as Kentucky blue grass and Elm. Here they are:


These beauties which all reside in the same valley as I, can go under the category of "Green Things I HATE!!" But in all fairness, it's actually my bodies fault, not the plants. See, the pollen floats in the air and goes up my nose. My body, however, mistakes these types of pollen as foreign invaders trying to make me sick, and it attacks them. My white blood cells start producing an army of black belt fighters and my blasophils create a bunch of inflammation and release histamines which makes me itch like crazy. The war going on inside me makes me feel terrible and it takes all my energy. If my nose only knew that all the fuss was over some harmless air particles!

But here's the current issue I'm facing this week-- Is it a cold or allergies?
  • I feel terrible and look deathly
  • Runny itchy nose
  • Itchy eyes
  • Sore throat and guck back there
  • Congested
  • All the sleep in the world isn't helping
  • My verdict- It's probably a combo of both, but I really can't tell. I feel this way every spring.
One thing I'll never understand though is why my outdoor seasonal allergies feel better when I go outside. The allergists I've seen all think I'm crazy. But every year I notice that walking around and enjoying the pollen-y breeze sort of alleviates the symptoms. It could just be a temporary fix, only to come down on me later with 10 times the wrath. But it's such a gorgeous day, so I think I'll go lie outside. If only I had a good book.

But on a more positive note- I've been keeping myself busy in other ways besides feeling sorry for myself. It was my day off yesterday and I made my lovely sister-in-law Taralyn a birthday cake for her sweet 16. Promise I didn't sneeze in it!


Thank you to Channing for being my friend and mentor, and teaching me what a crumb coat is, so I can make beautiful treats such as this. I still need to work on my scrolls a bit more though!

My sweet 16th birthday cake was my sister Elissa's wedding cake from the night before. It's true- Everyone forgot my birthday. Does the movie 16 candles ring a bell? Thanks Lis.
The next week mom gave me this:
I hope someday my daughters will wear it and cherish it like I did.

The green month isn't over yet though folks, so I will post another one of my favorite green things.

Favorite green thing today: My place settings/napkins. They wash nicely too, which I promise is important.

And I almost forgot...
Reflection of the day: Beautiful flower in San Diego

3 comments:

  1. Love your blog! You make beautiful cakes! I make cakes too, but haven't done it in awhile. I've learned so long ago, that I never did learn the fondent look. How do you do it? PS, my blog is michaelandmeghan.blogspot.com - we should be blog friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making cakes is fun huh? It's actually just regular frosting rather than fondant. I have played around with fondant but that's it. You have to roll it out with a rolling pin kinda like cookie dough and lay it on top. Then you use this scrapper thing to smooth it out and get rid of the bubbles. But to make the regular frosting smooth to kinda look like fondant you have to put the cake in the freezer for a little bit. Then you take it out and get a bowl of warm water and dip the spatula in it and spread it all around the cake till its smooth. I have to warn you though that the frosting becomes shiny which you may or may not like and it also gets a kinda thin hard shell on it which I don't care for. Any one have any better ideas??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey!
    Just wanted say thank you sooo much for the Cake!!!
    It looked great and tasted great!!
    You're the greatest!!

    ReplyDelete