Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Crepes & Butter

I woke up one Sunday morning with a longing for my favorite breakfast food, the crepe- Thin, perfectly sweet and delicious. I nudged Rad out of his slumber, told him I was in the mood, and asked if he would do the deed. After a moment of hesitation, he rose from bed, eager to please his wife with her favorite breakfast dessert. I got lucky. Of course I knew he secretly agreed to do it because it would give him license to quote one of his all time favorite movie scenes for the rest of the morning, in a French accent. “Just say you like really really thin pancakes,” he says as he exits the room.


I dreamt of sweet smelling blossoms, cool breezes and cool buttery cream. I awoke to the sound of a whisk tapping a glass bowl and the sizzling grill preparing to make its masterpiece. Before returning to my slumber, I thought I should go check on Rad, after all it was his first time making my favorite dish alone. I usually prepare the batter while he helps with the cooking. I asked him how it was going and he said he had it covered and to go back to bed. Before I obliged, I noticed he was stewing over what to do with the butter. I hinted that he should melt it in the microwave before adding it to the batter. I returned to the bedroom to shower, with complete confidence in my sweetheart.


I emerged minutes later, taking in the divine smell coming from the kitchen. I went out and breakfast was done. They looked amazing, stacked high and thin, rolled into perfect golden cylinders with crisp edges and tender centers.


Rad made me giggle with the way he gracefully tapped the sieve of powdered sugar onto the crepes using a spoon. Not just any spoon either- a special spoon, only to be used for tapping.



I carefully filled mine with fruit and cream, rolled and topped them with syrup and dusted with powdered sugar. Heavenly. I noticed, although still delicious, that they tasted slightly different than usual.



“Honey,” I asked, “did you remember to add the vanilla?” His head sunk, as if he knew he was a failure.

“No,” he sighed. I laughed and told him they were delicious and I was the luckiest girl in the world to have such a talented husband, so willing to please his wife.


After all, crepes are no easy task for a man. They have to be delicately thin but not so thin they tear (too thick and they taste like a sponge), somewhat round, perfectly golden, and of course, the first one has to stay warm while you cook the other 10 to 20 individually.


I felt completely satisfied as we cleaned up..


That is, until I found this…


“Sweety,” I inquired, as delicately as I could, “What did you do with the rest of the butter.” Again I saw his head droop, and the same look of defeat swept over his face.


“I guess I accidentally put the whole stick into the crepe batter,” he muttered. He held up the recipe without making eye contact. “And it only wanted 2 tablespoons.” I smiled and creeped up onto my tippy toes to hug him, and my legs felt just a bit heavier as I did.


“Would you like crepes with your butter?” he joked, holding out the wrapper, and I knew I got lucky. Lucky to find someone who made me smile everyday.


Dessert Crepes

3 eggs

7/8 c flour

1 ½ c milk

2 T sugar

2 T butter, melted

1 T vanilla


In a bowl, whisk eggs. Add flour. Whisk until smooth. Add milk slowly and whisk again. Add sugar and then melted butter slowly and whisk.


Using only 2-3 T of batter, drop into oiled pan, tilt pan to spread batter across evenly. Flip and continue to cook until golden brown.


Keep in tortilla warmer between wax paper if available until ready to eat.


Makes 12 crepes

Recipe c/o Michelle Collett

3 comments:

  1. First off, great post! haha. Second...your blog is way way cute! I will pretty much be blog stalking you too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy and I laughed my head off reading this... I love the pics.. glad you two are doing most excellent!

    ReplyDelete